In March, BEA launched a series of videoconference events to hear from experts about important topics related to the coronavirus pandemic, which has evolved into a broader discussion about the most pressing issues of the day. These discussions focus on BEA’s priorities—namely improving economic conditions for Black Americans, with a focus on work, wages, and wealth. The series has had strong participation, with over 500 participants for some discussions. Some of the more notable topics include:
- Former Head of the White House Auto Task Force Steve Rattner – comparing the current pandemic to the 2008 economic crisis.
- Senator Cory Booker and Vista Equity Partners CEO Robert F. Smith – discussing private and public sector efforts to increase access to capital for Black business owners during the economic crisis.
- Urban Institute President Sarah Rosen Wartell and Dr. Zeke Emanuel – discussing the disproportionate health and economic impacts of the pandemic on Black Americans.
- Fair Fight CEO Stacey Abrams and NAACP Legal Defense Fund President Sherrilyn Ifill – discussing civic engagement and fair elections.
- Mayors of Atlanta, New Orleans, and St. Paul discussing economic opportunity and recovery from the current overlapping crises.